Thursday, February 4, 2010

Think Aloud Pair Problem Solving

As an instructor of English composition (mostly developmental), I have struggled to find ways to get students to engage themselves actively in their learning activities. Like many instructors, I get tired of seeing my students looking out the window, sending text messages, or doing some other equally non-productive activity during my class sessions. To diminish these behaviors, I have incorporated many active-learning strategies into my classroom, but I continue to see many non-engaged behaviors that suggest to me that students are still not actively engaging in the planned activities. I still often see students who refuse to speak or contribute in any way during small-group discussions, students who write one or two sentences and close their journals when I have asked them to write non-stop for five minutes, and students who are doing homework for some other subject during my class.

Because I know my students will be much more successful if they actively engage themselves in their learning experiences, I am constantly on the lookout for activities that will better facilitate active student engagement. In the activity I describe here, students work in pairs to solve a series of problems. Students have specific roles—problem solver and listener—that they alternate with each problem. The problem solver “thinks aloud,” verbalizing the steps he or she takes to solve the problem. The listener listens carefully, following the steps taken by the problem solver, attempting to understand the reasoning behind the steps, and offering suggestions if necessary.

Although I used the activity with grammar rules, it could easily be adapted to suit the needs of any instructor in any discipline. Approximate time needed: 30-45 minutes.

PURPOSE
  • To have students actively engage in the learning process
  • To have students learn to identify relevant information and apply it in the solution of a problem
  • To have students learn and practice problem-solving strategies
SUPPLIES/SET UP
  • A set of problems to solve (I used problems from the grammar workbook I use in my class
  • Plenty of writing instruments for writing on the board (dry erase markers for whiteboards, chalk for blackboards, etc.)
To read the full article click here:
Source:
--Adrienne Peek, Faculty, English, Modesto Junior College , CA
On Course Newsletter 2/2010

No comments:

Post a Comment